Question
Posted by: bd | 2004/12/02

schizophrenic

dear doc

its me again. you just answered a question of mine. i asked you whether my mood swings was due to my pms or schizophrenia and you said i was probably suffering from pms as well as schizophrenia and you sugested some counselling to deal with my condition(s).

another thing thats always perplexed me is that since i got ill my memory is not that good and i cant always think rationally. i suppose there was a time when it was worse. its actually getting better now, maybe due to the meds. can you please explain this to me in detail. i'll appreciate it. thank you.

Hi bd,
Hmm. Well, memory is a bit like a tape recorder, in some ways. And sometimes, with an illness like schizophrenia --- or in the some ways similar situation of when one gets very confused when one has a high fever --- one is not recordnig properly, so whatever was going on then may be little or even not recalled. You can't remember what wasn't properly entered into memory, first of all. And maybe, with the meds helping to clear your general levels of brain functioning, so you are thinking more clearly, you are now seeing, perceiving and understanding the world around you more clearly, putting more of that properly into membory, and thus are better able to remember it. Does that make sense ?

1
Posted by: bd | 2004/12/03

thank you doctor. that's cleared things up for me a lot. i always feel that one is best able to deal with one's illness when one understands it properly.

Reply to bd