Question
Posted by: SmallPaul | 2008/02/05

Schizophrenia

Hi, I discovered this site yesterday and since then I've posted about 5 different topics to 5 different experts. I think it's great that your services are offered in this way!

I have paranoid schizophrenia and the anti-psychotics has made me gain more than 10kgs and although I'm on milder medication now, I think it still hinders me in losing the weight.

I came across a very interesting article about niacin and how it can help manage schizophrenia.

My biggest problem is lack of motivation and the 160 mg of geodon I take a day didn't do anything to help. As soon as I began taking niacin(1000mg per day) my motivation got real better real soon. At the time I set goals for myself about what I will do every day and believed that the niacin would pull me through. So I'm not sure if it is the niacin that did the trick or simply the goals I set myself.

Like I said the geodon didn't do anything for my motivation but the niacin did. So I was wondering if perhaps some patients respond better to alternative meds (orthomolecular psychiatry, I think its called) and if so can you give me other alternative ways of managing my illness or perhaps refer me to an orthomolecular psychiatrist that could help me in the Gauteng area. PS. I also take omega 3 and 6.

Expert ImageNatural health

hi

the niacin would assist you in your case. the omega's are also excellent to take. you can also add a vitamin B complex. With conditions as your self it is best to be treated under the care of a registered health care practitioner.
you can contact the allied health care proffesional board in PTA for a practitioner in your area.

regards
Dr Debbie