Question
Posted by: Curious | 2004/10/01

Schizophrenia

I am asking this question after I have read about the woman who cut the pesioners throat in Cresta. Does God punish people suffering from Schizophrenia, and why does He allow this to happen to some people. Is Schizophrenia real and what causes it?

Well, God can answer for Himself, but schizophrenia is about as real as any illness can be, and a very serious, painful and unpleasant illness, and on that can sometimes be extremely difficult to treat. I don't believe God punishes people for being ill.
People with schizophrenia are VERY rarely violent, it's just a bit more frightening when they are, as their motives for violence may be much harder to understand than with the far commoner violence by ordinary people. Generally, they respond well to modern treatments. If this woman was not taking her meds, I'm surprised if there was no proper follow-up by the hospital after discharge, including, if she had ever been unreliable about taking meds, the delivery of her meds to her by an injection which can last a month.

3
Posted by: Samantha | 2004/10/01

Listener, I fully agree with what you say. I was diagnosed with schizo a few months ago. I can't say that I am leading a normal life, but by taking my medication I will be able to do so oneday.

I don't think that God can punish us. We are all made in His image.

Reply to Samantha
Posted by: LISTENER | 2004/10/01

Its a long story, a lot of people are labelled incorrectly as being schizophrenia. it has a stigma and yet they are not all murderers.
I have first hand experience for 6 years with my son being schizo and it is definitely not split personality but SPLIT CHEMICALS. Sometimes the aggressive chemical is out of balance, or it might be the eating chemical, or the hygiene chemical just depends
Pse take note that medication is fantastic and stabilises most (not all) schizo's to be normal loving people but they must take their medication every single day. Cresta lady refused and that is why her chemicals CRASHED.

Reply to LISTENER
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/01

A few days ago there was a discussion about it here and Cybershrink gave some views about this specific event.
I can't answer the questions as such, but I respond with a question - Does God punish someone for having any disease? Mental problems are illnesses - schizophrenia is one of many diseases afflicting people.

Reply to Chelle