Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2004/01/21

Schizophrenia

My Fiancee's mother was diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia about 3 years ago (she is 44 years of age), and is in the care of a mental facility at the moment. Her behaviour is both extremely dangerous and destructive. What i am wondering is whether my Fiancee (21 years old) has a chance of developing this disorder in the future. At the moment she is on Cipramil for mild depression, i dont know the technicalities, but from what i understood it is due to a lack of seratonin due to massive stresses she incurred while staying with her mother.

Many thanks in advance.

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Anonymous

Schizophrenia probably has a number of separate, interacting causes, including undefined genetic elements. The overall empirical recurrence risk for the daughter of an affectred woman would be about 10%.

Regards, Maritha

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2004/01/23

Thank-you very much for your assistance. Would there be any visible signs at the moment or in the past several years that would possibly show that my fiancee could be developing this disorder?

Kindest Regards.