Question
Posted by: nobody | 2005/07/26

schizo please reply to questions and if anyone is looking after some with this

Hi there, a few questions

Please can you tell me what effect high dosage of pills have on a person normal day to day living,who is living with schizo ?
Also if a person and be sent away to a institution or will they be able to stay at home with someone looking after them ?
Also hearing voices can no but a ear piece on ones ears and put the music on full blast to stop hearing the voices

I undrstand what you'd like to hear, nobody, but it's actually more difficult top answer than perhaps you realize. Schizophrenia is a serious illness, but it varies very much between people. Some people are very severely afected, others less so ; some respond very well to medication ( like out friend d ) and others less so. So the outcome is much less predictable than one would like. Generally, one of the aims of the medicines is to help to control the symptoms and help the person to cope with the chores of day-to-day life, so meds should help, and higher doses may be used if the lower doses are helping but not enough.
Some people with schizophrenia respond well to medication and are able to live independently ; others do well enough to manage at home, with someone to help look after them ; some do well, where there are such facilities, in group homes, where a group of people with similar illnesses live together, sharing a home, with one well person to help the group. Others may need to be admitted to a hospital so that they can be properly cared for and protected. Some may need to spend years in such a hospital, some may need to be admitted for a few months at a time every year or two ; others may need only one admission.
As for coping with the voices, mostly people find that having patience to find the right dose of the right medicine, usually helps to get rid of the distracting voices. Some have said that listening to music in earphones may help --- but not "at full blast" as this could make the situation worse ---in this case the high noise levels might damage one's hearing for normal sounds, while the voices, which are arising internally, would not be affected, and thus could end up sounding more loud, by comparison to the normal sounds of the world.

5
Posted by: help help | 2005/07/26

Thanks for your reply and i hope one day your brother gets better
thanks again

Reply to help help
Posted by: Nadine | 2005/07/26

Hi Help Help. There were times that he was 'normal' and we could have a conversation with him but I used to wonder if he knew what I was saying. As the years went by I feel he got worse. He seems to have this plastic look on his face with a permanent type of smile. Its hard to explain. He does know who we are and he will tell us about his daily life or whatever but he will never be part of normal society. Its quite sad to know that he has never lived a normal life and never will. Basically he just exists.

Reply to Nadine
Posted by: help help | 2005/07/26

Hi Nadine does your brother act normal at time if so for how long a time ?

D did you have to say of work for your disorder ?

Reply to help help
Posted by: Nadine | 2005/07/26

My brother was diagnosed with schitzophrenia a number of years ago. He also hears voices and apparently sees a green eye watching him when he looks at the television screen. It was impossible to look after him as his behaviour was so bizarre, like walking into the lounge naked. He did not want to take his medication and would hide the pills. Also he sometimes became quite aggressive. He has been at Sterkfontein and now Weskoppies for the last 10 years and probably will be there forever.

Reply to Nadine
Posted by: d | 2005/07/26

i suffered from schitzophrenia,and i was treated from home with medication called Rispidal,im on the medication now for a year..and im recovered fully,only because of the help of God!

Reply to d