Question
Posted by: Chris | 2003/03/25

Scheuermann's disease

My son (14 years of age) has been diagnosed with Scheuermann's disease. Whis is this and what does it involve, what can be done to help him, prognosis etc. Any information will help and be much appreciated.

Chris, Scheuermann’s disease is a relatively common condition that is often diagnosed when x-rays are taken for other things. There is a big range of severity, but most cases have a good prognosis. What you about it depends on the severity of the curvature, but usually we advice children to reduce weight-bearing stress and to avoid strenuous activities. If you’re interested in more information, mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll see what I can do. Good luck.