Question
Posted by: Sue | 2003/01/21

Scheuermann's disease

Please could you tell about Scheuermann's disease.What causes it,is it genetic and if it is picked up in childhood can anything be done to reverse it.What affect does it have as you age?

Sue, Scheuermann’s disease is a relatively common condition that is often diagnosed when x-rays are taken for other things. There is a big range of severity, but most cases have a good prognosis. What you about it depends on the severity of the curvature, but usually we advice children to reduce weight-bearing stress and to avoid strenuous activities. Good luck.
PS. If you a bit more info on it, mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll cut and paste you something.