Question
Posted by: seraph | 2003/03/18

scheduling of drugs/over the counter/prescription

Hi there Cybershrink suggested that I refer this question to you.Would you know where I could find a website which lets me know which drugs are over the counter or when a prescription is needed? And an explanation of the scheduling eg Schedule 1 or Schedule 5 etc etc Many thanks

Seraph, medicines are scheduled according to how dangerous they are. The higher they are scheduled the more dangerous they are. This doesn't just apply to how addictive they are, it might also be due to their side effect profile. The scheduling status of a drug may move up or down with time as more information about the drug is gained in practice. Recently the drug that was used for "date raping" was given a higher scheduling status to make sure that tighter control could be exercised over how it was prescribed.
I have no idea whether there is a website that deals with these things, but if you want to know about a specific drug you can always ask me. Good luck.

6
Posted by: Vj | 2015/05/26

Hi there. This should help: http://www.savc.org.za/pdf_docs/medicines_schedules2012.pdf

Reply to Vj
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/04/09

Yes, there are schedule 0's such as Panado (paracetamol) and ibuprofen

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/02/19

I would like to know if Strattera is a schedule 2 or 3 drug?.

Posted by: Shrek | 2003/03/19

Hi doc, can Drichlor be bought over the counter at a pharmacy or does it require that you have a doctors prescription. See I've been reading about hyperhidrosis and I have this excessive sweating condition, mainly under my armpits, I hear people say it has worked for them so I would like to give it a try.
Thanks Doc

Reply to Shrek
Posted by: anxious | 2003/03/18

Schedule 1 – These substances can be sold by anyone who possesses the necessary licence, except to persons under the age of 16, when a doctor must prescribe them, and a pharmacist must dispense them.
e.g. antimalarials, nasal decongestants

Schedule 2 – Schedule 2 substances must be sold by a pharmacist without a doctor’s prescription – except to those under the age of 16, when a doctor’s prescription is necessary.
e.g. anti-diarrhoeals such as Lomotil, and decongestants such as phenylpropalonamine

Schedule 3 – Pharmacists may not sell Schedule 3 drugs without a doctor’s prescription and must keep a record of what was prescribed.
e.g. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), beta-blockers

Schedule 4 – Instructions to dispense Schedule 4 substances can be given verbally to the pharmacist by the doctor whom he knows, although such instruction must be followed up by a written prescription within 7 days
e.g. Antibiotics, corticosteroids

Schedule 5 – This schedule contains many tranquillisers and other psychotropic drugs which can only be obtained on a doctor’s prescription. However, they may be repeated as long as the number of repeats and the time interval between them are clearly stated.
e.g. Benzodiazepines, amitripyline

Schedule 6 – The preparations are subject to strict regulations regarding dispensing and accounting and, although less prone to abuse than Schedule 7 drugs, can only be dispensed by a pharmacist on the prescription of a doctor
e.g. Amylobarbital, pentazocine

Schedule 7 – These are generally habit forming narcotic drugs which can only be obtained with a doctor’s prescription, and which are subject to strict regulations regarding dispensing
e.g. Morphine, pethidine

Schedule 8 – The substances can only be possessed for analytical and research purposes with a permit from the Director General of Health and Population Development.
e.g. cannabis (dagga), methaqualone (mandrax)

Schedule 9 – Schedule 9 substance can only be obtained from the Director General of Health and Population Development under exceptional circumstances.
e.g. amphetamines and their derivatives.

Taken from Reader’s Digest
Medical Association of South Africa
Guide to Medicines and Drugs [1989]

Hope this helps!

.

Reply to anxious | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/03/13

Are there any Schedule 0?