Question
Posted by: freelove | 2007/03/03

scary depression

I'm doing my masters in counselling psychology this year, which inolves a lot of facilitating groups etc. I suffered from binge eating disorder four years ago for which I sought therapy and was put onto Efexor XR. After being on Efexor for a year and a half, I felt that I was "normal" enough, ie. I had no bingeing episodes and I was really beginning to enjoy life.Therefore I phased it out and have been off Efexor for about 3 months now However this year is making me question my abilities and I feel like everything I do is wrong. I feel like my confidence is at an all time low. Also I'm having problems waking up in the mornimg. Maybe one morning a month I'll jump out of bed but the rest of the month I have to drag myself out of bed with immense feelings of dread and dissatisfaction. I have started a reflective journal to try and understand what makes me down and what I can do to encourage myself. What other options do you suggest to help me look forward to every day, and to put my self confidence up?

Many thanks
Freelove

As you'll understand with your work in counselling psychology, I am uneasy about treating ANY disorder, including what you were dealing with, solely with medication, and without proper, preferably CBT oriented, counselling. It's also possible that you have a longer-term background problem, either Depression of Dysthymia, complicating this, which may need longer-term medication as well as the counselling. How about a second opinion for a proper re-assessment and a full discussion of treatment options ?

1
Posted by: Girl | 2007/03/04

Hi there!

I experienced the same kind of thing you did about struggling to get out of bed because you have a feeling of dread and disatisfaction. I found what helped is to have something to look forward to. Plan something small for every weekend, even if it's something really small. It'll help at least a little bit to get out of bed every morning. I know it sounds corny, but when you first open your eyes in the morning, try smiling. Even if you have to force it but your body naturally reacts to smiling because it relates it to feelings of happiness. It works for me and hopefully it'll work for you too, even if it's just a little bit :-)

Reply to Girl