Question
Posted by: 123 | 2004/01/30

scared

Hi all

I am pregnant and I am HIV+ my cd4 cell count is 444 and cd4 28,6% can somebody explain to me how bad is this, do I have a chance of having a negative baby?

Expert ImageHIV Peer Forum

You can protect your baby from HIV. You need to be on antiretroviral medication for the last month of your pregnancy, have a ceaser on do not breastfeed. The baby also have to be on therapy for one month after birt. Please discuss this with your doctor.

1
Posted by: malaika | 2004/01/30

I understand where you are coming from.We are actually in the same boat.Your cd4 is not too bad.What you will need to do is take ARV during your last month of pregnancy and have a c-section.You may not breast feed your baby and the baby will also have to take medication for up to 6 weeks after birth.This method reduces the risk from more than 15% to less than 1%.I think you have a good chance but you have to be commited to your medication and look after yourself.Unprotected sex will increase your viral load and the higher your viral load the higher the risk of transmission.
Good Luck and God Bless.Keep us posted about your pregnancy!!!

Reply to malaika