Question
Posted by: Scar tissue | 2006/11/02

Scar tissue

I sprained my foot over a year ago, but it's still really troubling me.
According to my physio, there is still alot of scar tissue and inflammation at the injury site.
What is scar tissue? Is it possible to ever get rid of it?
I've been having ultrasound and laser treatment twice a week for the past 3 months - but it does not seem to help much and at times does hurt when the physio does it.
Is there anything else I can do (including myself at home) to help break the scar tissue down and heal my foot?

Expert ImageArchive

Adhesions (scar tissue) is a dead fibrotic tissue that forms mostly in muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia, and joints following injury, surgery, or disease. Scar tissue results from the biologic process of wound repair in the skin and other tissues of the body however is not identical to the tissue which it replaces and is usually of inferior functional quality.

When a muscle, tendon, or ligament is torn (strained or sprained) or nerve is damaged, healing occurs in three stages called the inflammatory response: acute inflammation, repair, and remodeling. In acute inflammation, redness, swelling, heat and pain occur. This phase lasts approximately 72 hours. After the inflammation recedes, repair begins. The damaged tissues heal with adhesions or scar tissue formation rather than the formation of brand new tissue.

To avoid the formation of adhesive scar tissue after an injury, surgery, or excessive muscle's overuse, healing must take place in the presence of a full range of movement.

Another port of call for you may be cross-frictions by a physio which can break down the adhesions and I suggest that you continue with your physio / health professional to ensure that the structures heal correctly. For this reason I would advise against working on your foot by yourself. If you are losing faith in your physio, try to get a second opinion and get the foot assessed by another health professional. Surgical intervention to break down the scar tissue may be necessary if all else fails but seek a second opinion before taking this route.

Best of luck with your recovery.