Question
Posted by: Scar tissue | 2006/11/02

Scar tissue

I sprained my foot over a year ago, but it's still really troubling me.
According to my physio, there is still alot of scar tissue and inflammation at the injury site.
What is scar tissue? Is it possible to ever get rid of it?
I've been having ultrasound and laser treatment twice a week for the past 3 months - but it does not seem to help much and at times does hurt when the physio does it.
Is there anything else I can do (including myself at home) to help break the scar tissue down and heal my foot?

Expert ImageArchive

You really need a lot of physio they need to mobilise the scarring, and do cross friction massage (some physios are not in favour of this), if you are not coming right with physio you may need to see an orthopeadic surgeon, who will try image the area either with x-ray (including stress views) ultrasound, or, mri or sililar. Depending on what is seen the treatment will be planned accordingly, I suggest you speak to your physio and plan a treatment protocol with clearly identifiable milestones, if you are not reaching these milestones, get another opinion