Question
Posted by: GaZZa | 2004/01/26

Scar on my knee

I cut my knee open above the kneecap over a year ago. It was pretty deep and took a long time to heal. Now that it's healed there is a lump (scar tissue) the size of your pinky nail under the skin.

It is painless, but when I kneel on it hurts, and it keeps getting bumped.

I've written to this column before and you suggested I try massage it 3 times a day for 10mins to get ride of it, but this hasn'twork.

Where to know? Surgery?

Thanks,

G

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Gazza,

The effects of massage on this amount of scar tissue will take about 6 months before you see any results. However, I also suggested at the time that you consult with a plastic surgeon about this, as he would be able to assess whether massage will indeed help, or whether surgery is an option. The knee is obviously an incredibly difficult area, due to the fact that it is being moved all the time.