Question
Posted by: playa again | 2006/11/12

scapula pain

I am a 14 yr.old competitive hockey player.Last weekend I got checked hard in a hockey game.I continued to play, but after the game I was very sore underneath my scapula. I missed 3 days practice and it is still sore.I should mention that I have had this before(last season). I do have scapulae that protrude a lot.Is that a factor?I would like to know what to do because I was in really good shape and this is messing up my season!

Expert ImageArchive

Hi playa

it could be a couple of things.
If it is just a muscle sprain, strain it should clear up in a couple of weeks with anti inflamatories and rest. Of course, if it is torn then that could also cause pain.

There is also the possibility of a nerve being "stuck "causing pain and thinning of the muscle.

An ultrasound may help differentiate.

DrP