Question
Posted by: Viv | 2006/04/14

SCAN OF HIP FOR CLICKING SOUND

I've had a MRI scan of the hip - now I've been send to go for a Artro (not sure of the spelling) Scan.

I can not find any info about this scan anywhere.
How it's done,
what will it show "more" that the MRI scan?
How long does it take?

Please could you assist with info.

Thanx

Viv

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Viv
I assume that you have snapping hip syndrome and they want to determine the cause and whether there is a small tear/s in the ligament.
You have already had an MRI scan and I suspect you are referring to Arthrography which is the radigraphic examination of the joint after they have injected a dye-like contrast to outline the soft tissue and joint structures on the images. You will be positioned on a table and ordinary x-rays will first be taken. Next they will clean the skin and inject a local anesthetic around the hip joint. A needle is inserted into the joint space and they will first check with fluoroscopy whether it is correctly placed and then you will be injected with the contrast fluid. You will be asked to move the joint to distribute the contrast.Still images will then be taken with the joint in various positions. If you are sensitive to iodine you must please inform the doctor. It is apparently not very painful as your get a local anesthetic.
Arthrography is particularly effective to detect tears or lesions of the structures and ligaments of the joints- something that can occur with snapping hip syndrome.
The examination usually takes about 45 to 60 minutes.
Hope this gives you an adequate answer.