Question
Posted by: Embarrassed | 2006/10/31

Scaly skin on legs

I would like to know what I can do to solve my scaly skin problem. It is quiet grotesque looking and out of all the places...on my legs. As a result, I donot use short skirts etc. to avoid embarrassment. Its been this way since I was a kid and I am now 24 years of age. I need help URGENTLY please.

Expert ImageArchive

I assume that the skin condition has been present virtually since birth. Is there somone in the family with the same condition? There is a genetic condition called dominant ichthyosis vulgaris. Skin involvement is more pronounced on the lower limbs. There is no curative treatment. Treatment is symptomatic with moisturizers something like EpizoneE. The moisturizer must be used regularly. A suitable cream/ointment is often found by trial and error.