Question
Posted by: mac | 2003/02/20

Scalpal problems (Kerion???)

I have got a scalpal problem for the past 8-9 years now. For two years inbetween it disappeared.
The problem i have has been identified as kerion, a fungal outgrowth, but the two doctors that told me this gave me medication, but it made no difference. Over the past 3 years i've spent on average R2000.00 per year for medication and doctor's bills. I have seen about 8 doctor's and 2 dermitologists. I still have the problem.
Now i have resorted to another method of treatment. I use "flowers of Sulphur" mixed with Blue Seal Vaseline and it works. Now i spend R15.00 a year with great results.
I am worried that this is not a long-term solution. I need to use it every night and it isn't a pleasant sight and it doesn't have a pleasant smell. I need a long term solution please. No-one i've seen has helped me.
Thank You for your time.
mac

Mac, sulphur is often used to treat dermatological problems and apart from the smell there isn’t much to worry about. If you want to find a cure you will have to have a biopsy taken and sent away for examination. It might just be a fungal infection with a secondary bacterial infection (kerion), but it might also be something else. You might need to take anti-fungal pills for a long time (3-9 months) to get rid of it and be assured that it’s going to cost a whole lot more than R2000. The best would be to find a good dermatologist (if you live near Pta, I can refer you) and have him sort it out. Good luck.