Question
Posted by: Itchy & Scratchy | 2005/01/15

Scabies in pregnancy

I have deveolped a severe itchy skin and am 22 weeks pregnant. I have been to a gynae a dermotologist and pharmacist who have told me it could either be hormonal or scabies. All the scabie tretments are forbidden in pregnancy. There is a risk involved and neither want to perscribe me the medication. The itch becomes worse at night and is intolerable. There must be a product that is safe to use during pregnancy, that will treat for scabies. I am desperate and have spent weeks on the internet searching for releif. PLEASE HELP. They have all told me there is nothing they can do and I would just have to suffer. This cannot be the answer surely!

Thank-you.

I'm afraid that I cannot help, other than to say that there seems to be doubt about the diagnosis. There are ways of confirming whether or not this is scabies, which the dermatologist should be able to do.
According to the American literature, Permethin cream 5% is thought to be safe in pregnancy, though this cannot be guaranteed.

1
Posted by: Healthcare | 2005/01/17

If diagnosis of scabies is confirmed, the following are safe to use:
(1) Eurax cream and Tetmosol soap, or
(2) 10% sulphur in HEB and Tetmosol soap

(2) can be mixed up by your pharmacist

Rgards

Reply to Healthcare