Question
Posted by: mellie | 2007/06/16

scabies

There has been an outbreak of scabies at my husband's place of work and it has been recommended that all family members be treated aswell.
I am 8 months pregnant - what treatment is safe?
Perhpas the Sulphur / Vaseline mixture?
I do not currently have any symptoms.

Dear Mellie
Malthion can be used in a woman in early pregnancy who has scabies as it is poorly absorbed, and has minimal effect toxicity wise on the foetus. Permethrin can also be used later in pregnancy. Suphur/vaseline is safe but not very effective. Benzyl benzoate has not been reported to cause birth defects or other problems in humans. However, the manufacturer recommends that this medicine should be used by pregnant women only if it is necessary. If you have no symptoms, Tetmosol soap may be the option to use as this is preventative and does not stay on the skin for long.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/scabies/factsht_scabies.htm