Question
Posted by: Embarresed | 2004/11/09

Scabbies what causes it and where do you get it?

Last week I had a rash on my arms and I scrached it and then it started on my right leg. I though it is my ecsema comming back because I have Ecsema what they call Rosacea it cleared up April this year. I went to the pharmacy and they told me it is scabies they gave me Tetmesol soap to bath with and a lotion to rub on that has to stay on for 24 hours and pills for the itching. I am a very clean peron I bath twice a day I am very higienic so where could I have gotten this and I have not been in contact with a person that has got as far as I can remember. Please help this very embarrising for me. My arms are red and when it is hot it is worse.

Expert ImagePharmacist

E,

Scabies is an itchy condition of the skin caused by a tiny mite (Sarcoptes scabiei). The itching is due to an allergic reaction to the tiny mites, and is associated with a rash of red, raised spots. Infestation is common, found worldwide, and affects people of all races and social classes. Scabies spreads rapidly under crowded conditions where there is frequent skin-to-skin contact between people. Infestation may also occur by sharing bedding, eg. in hotels or B&B's.

The treatment kills the mites, but their bodies are still in the skin and as it is this that we are allergic to, the itch persists until our own natural defence systems break down and get rid of what is left of the mites. This process takes about two weeks and therefore the itch continues for about two weeks after the treatment. Do not be disheartened, this is to be expected and does not mean that the treatment has failed. Your health care provider my prescribe additional medication to relieve itching (antihistamines) if it is severe. Treatment with the lotion may be repeated after 7-10 days should it be required.

Remember that all clothes, bedding, and towels used by the infested person 2 days before treatment should be washed in hot water and dried in a hot dryer.

1
Posted by: Emabarresed | 2004/11/09

Thank you very much for the information.

Reply to Emabarresed