Question
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/28

Saxophone

Doc, I have neurofibromitosis with scoliosis and compromised lung capacity with that - I have always dreamed of playing the saxophone but now was told I could not have the lung strength to "blow" or whatever.

I'm thinking now - surely that could be like a lung excercise and could actually help to build up the strength? Like they tell asthmatics to excercise their lungs? I managed to play a shofar (kudu horn) - so surely if I can get that out I could play a sax? Or am I just dreaming?

Joanne, I can¡¯ really say what your chances are without being able to examine you first, but I can¡¯t see why you can¡¯t try. Why don¡¯t you borrow a sax somewhere and try? You can keep on trying until you succeed ¨C what is there to live for if not to fulfil your dreams. Good luck.