Question
Posted by: Kull | 2006/07/13

Sardines & Pilchards again!

Hi Doc,

I know I asked this question previously, but I'm confused.
Why should we eat the skin of these fish but not of other fish/chicken/meat etc.
Does salmon & mackrel also fall into the skin eating category?

Isn't the skin of meat & fish unhealthy & difficult for the stomach to digest?

Lastly, what portion of bread will equal a portion of pasta/rice?

Dear Kull
You don't need to eat the skin of fish if you find this unpleasant. It is just a fact that fish skin contains more fats and that some of these fats are beneficial omega-3 fatty acids. This applies to all fatty fish, but don't force yourself to eat something that you dislike. The meat of these fishes also contains omega-3. If you have a normal digestion then eating fish skin should not cause digestive upsets. You can also obtain omega-3 from Salmon oil capsules. In contrast the skin of chicken contains a lot of 'bad' fats like saturated fatty acids and cholesterol, which is why we recommend that one should remove the skin before eating the chicken. For white, wholewheat, rye and seed bread 1 slice is regarded as a portion. For 'Slim Slice' bread you can use up to 2 slices for a portion.