Question
Posted by: Bee | 2007/12/01

Salt/Water

I have noticed that whenever I drink a lot of water, I start to crave salty foods - ANY salt, chips, biltong, even salads DRENCHED in salt! All this makes me even more thirsty, which kicks off another salt-binge. Is this healthy????? (I don't have a problem with my blood pressure - rather, I do, but it tends to be too low.)

Dear Bee
If you drink a lot of water this washes important minerals like sodium (found in table salt) and potassium out of the body and can cause so-called electrolyte imbalances. Your body reacts by craving salt to replenish the last sodium. Adults only require 2,5 litres of LIQUID a day, so don't overdo you water intake - 2-3 cups a day is more than enough if you are also drinking other liquids. It is also not a good idea to eat masses of sodium as this can harm the kidneys and increase blood pressure. You can increase your salt intake moderately because of your low blood pressure, but please do every thing in moderation, including drinking water.
Take care