Question
Posted by: peppercorn | 2003/01/09

Salt or pepper

Dear Dietdoc

I have hypertension, and have cut down on salt. But I have been adding a bit more pepper to my food instead. What does pepper do to my body - is it true that it takes seven years to digest?

Dear Peppercorn
That is an old wives' tale. You can use pepper and try potassium salt and herbal salts to replace the sodium - you can buy these at health shops, just check that they don't contain sodium. Try increasing your intakes of fresh fruit and vegetables and unprocessed cereals and grains, plus low-fat or skim milk and dairy products, as these dietary changes all help to lower blood pressure.