Question
Posted by: Charlene | 2004/11/04

salt craving

Please help! I have extreme salt cravings. Nothing in my diet has changed much. I eat at least a teaspoon of raw salt every day. Apart from the "normal" salt that I put in my food. How much salt is too much? Is this a sign that something is wrong?

Charlene, the best would be to have blood taken and your electrolytes measured as it might be a sign of a sodium shortage or something. DietDoc will be able to tell you what the normal salt intake is, but if you are a healthy person with normal kidneys the range will be very wide because the kidneys can regulate the sodium levels very effectively. Good luck.