Question
Posted by: salty | 2007/05/02

salt

hi there doc

pls tell me,is there any supplement or somthing i can take to decrease my salt craving?or perhaps you could just give me possible reaosns for this? ive always always used far too much salt (even to the point where i dont enjoy it) in/on my food, and also salty food like olives cheeses savoury biscuits and popcorn in extremes. i never feel like a chocolate and never feel like cake or sweets or biscuits or sweet stuff. i dont even taste food before i put salt on it anymore.

i know i will be in trouble when i get older - im 27 now(i know how harmful it can be), but i just want to not love salt in extremes like now.

hope you can help, please. i really do eat far too much salt. i dont even like crisps anymore because it never has enough salt in/on it.

regards

Dear Salty
It is indeed potentially harmful to ingest large quantities of salt or sodium on a daily basis. There could be various causes for your salt addiction: a) a physiological cause (some underlying condition or a deterioration in the taste buds that taste salty flavours) - please for safety sake have a medical examination to see if you don't have an underlying medical problem; b) a habit that has got out of hand - for this you will have to take a conscious decision to control your salt intake and slowly reduce how much you eat - like tapering off alcohol intake if a person drinks too much; c) a psychological cause - you may associated salt with a subconscious need - for this you would have to consult a clinical psychologist to explore what is making you crave salt to such an extent. You can also try substituting potassium chloride (buy at health shops - ask for sodium-free salt), herbs and spices (those that don't contain sodium, thus cutting out all spices with 'salt' in the name like 'garlic salt' and Aromat and all products that contain MSG), lemon juice and vinegar to add taste to foods (re-educate your taste buds).
Hope you master this addiction before it causes high blood pressure and kidney damage