Question
Posted by: oreo | 2004/10/22

salmon oil and other food supplements- keeping to safe levels

I know that taking fat soluble vitamins is risky, but what about in the more natural form eg. salmon oil capsules? Can you overdose on them? I have such a problem because I need supplements for insulin resistance, arthritis, poor circulation, an inherited tendency towards alzheimer's and osteoporosis, menopause, etc and I want not to take drugs for any of them. I know there are products on the market for each of these conditions with ' -|- tails' of vitamins and supplements suited to them, but taking them all means I go way over the RDA for certain vitamins, eg. the B group. Where can I access a reliable list of safe levels of supplements? Or can you tell me here?

Dear Oreo
Firstly the Salmon oil capsules do not contain vitamins but omega fatty acids, so you take them as prescribed without a problem. Your B vitamins and vit C are not a problem you will excrete excess intakes via the kidneys. The general rule is that you need to be careful of the fat soluble vitamins, so check on all these products what % of the RDA they contain esp for vits A and D, add them up and if you should be getting more than 100% of the RDA of vits A and D, then you need to either buy supplements that do not contain these vitamins or take the products that do contain them on alternate days.
The general rule for all vitamins and minerals is that we should not ingest more than 100% of the RDA per day, but the water soluble vitamin B complex and vit C are not really a problem.