Question
Posted by: Unhappy | 2004/10/22

Salary depression

I desperately need information from anyone who might know. Do I have any right to take on my employer on any basis if my salary is unfair. I am constantly expected to assume responsibilities of senior positions when employees in those positions resign or do not have the neccesary skills. My salary however is never adjusted. Thank you.

Not my area of expertise. Sounds worth seeing the IR consultant, maube discussing with CCMA, Dept of Labour, and looking discretely for a btter job.

6
Posted by: Unhappy | 2004/10/22

Yes NM, they are getting away with it and nobody ever stands up for it. Mona, my letter of appointment is vague. It isn't particular on tasks I do. I'm going to take it up with an IR consultant. I might just teach them a lesson in fairness! I'm definately looking for a job. Leaving will give me great satisfaction.

Reply to Unhappy
Posted by: Mona | 2004/10/22

Another thing is that you dont have to do anything thats not stated in your letter of employement, so next time they ask you to help out with someone else job, ask them if they are gonna pay you extra for that period. Other than that, you can always look around for another job!

Reply to Mona
Posted by: NM | 2004/10/22

Did you tell him that you're unhappy about the extra responsibilities?

You know...I sometimes feel that our employers know they they can do whatever they want cause they know that they will get away with it!!!

Reply to NM
Posted by: unhappy | 2004/10/22

Thanks Mona and NM. The problem is that I have spoken to him, and I have had an increase earlier this year, but my salary is not up to standard compared to other positions. I'm not greedy, believe me. It's a matter of fairness and it's demotivating me extremely.

Reply to unhappy
Posted by: NM | 2004/10/22

I say, speak to your boss. Tell him that you're unhappy about this. What do you have to loose?? They might just give you a (well deserved!!) increase!!

Reply to NM
Posted by: Mona | 2004/10/22

All you can do is talk to your boss, or write an official letter stating your reasons for an increase, and hope like hell they give you one! Too few employers realise these days that they must hold onto someone good, a couple of rand more a month can save them lots of heartache when that employee leaves and they end up with lazy people.

Reply to Mona