Question
Posted by: Just Feeling Bugged | 2004/10/13

Salaries

Hi CS,

I've just spent my lunch break listening to 2 ladies complaining about their salaries. How they struggle to get by every month. How they can't afford rent on their own, and so are forced into staying with, lets say boyfriends, to be able to have a roof over their heads. Both are single mothers, twice my age. Both are admin support. I've got a university honors degree, and lets say I earn double their salary. It bugs me that they make me feel bad about my achievements (especially because I can afford my own place and my own car payments). I hate it when they bring up the subject, because it feels as though they're lashing out at me. I do feel empathy towards them, but I did work hard to get where I am today. And no, the university tuition wasn't paid by my "rich parents". I knew they couldn't afford something like that, so I made sure I qualified for a bursary. Sorry, I don't mean disrespect to anyone.

JFB, we all make choices. They didn't hav to become single mothers, and they could have chosen further studies, as you did. We're not entitled to make the choices we please, and then expect the outcomes received by someone else, who made different choices. And if they don't like the situation they are in, there are still many things they could do to improve it, rather than just sitting round grumbling.
And ...., I think the English invented that difficult spelling, in a brilliant move to create more jobs for English teachers.
And yes, we need it, I grumbled to get it, but cold rainy days also make me want to curl up in bed with a good book, and hibernate.

20
Posted by: ... | 2004/10/13

Nope no overtime, :(

I'm going to a wild reserve, sorry I did not see the question earlier, nice,

You're lucky you can't work overtime, I have to come in early a lot of times and now that everybody else works overtime for the festive season I have to close,

Jippee,

by this you can gather I'd rather go home bake some pancakes, drink hot chocolate, with little marsmellows (spelling?) and watch a movie, nicely snuggled up to hubby!

(as somebody at work said this is nice baby making weather.)

I fully agree.

...

Reply to ...
Posted by: JM | 2004/10/13

Oe that is terrible, hope you get paid overtime. Luckily I don't or cannot work overtime in this company. Very strict policies.

Reply to JM
Posted by: ... | 2004/10/13

Feel exactly the same way, want to sleep the whole day already, also surfing alot today, got all my work done for a change, but have to work an hour late today :(

...

Reply to ...
Posted by: JM | 2004/10/13

Jip can't complain about the rain, we really do need it. It is just when it is so cold and rainy, I get depressed. I feel like sleeping, eating, sleaping and that is not good for the body, oh ja and usually I don't feel like working, thus al my replies on the site today.

Where are you going?

Reply to JM
Posted by: ... | 2004/10/13

Thanx man,

I'm sure it's the weather, I'm not even gonna try say my spelling is usually good, when I started working for my company I mis spelled part of it's name horrible but true.

The rain is good for my garden so I'm not complaining about it, just hope it will not rain next weekend (22-24) going away then.

...

Reply to ...
Posted by: JM | 2004/10/13

You r such a kind person. It is definitely the weather causing the havoc, usually my English spelling is tip top. Ag but everyone has a bad day.

Reply to JM
Posted by: ... | 2004/10/13

The english language is not very easy to spell in!!!

If you did not mention the spelling I sure not a lot none english persons would have even think it might be wrong, I sure did not.

...

Reply to ...
Posted by: JM | 2004/10/13

Thanx ... first time anyone told me that!

Remember it is not stubborness but perserverance. (Goodness my spelling is like the weather today, terrible)

Good Luck!

Reply to JM
Posted by: ... | 2004/10/13

JM

I really hope that you finish your Electrical Engineering and that you will land a super job one day!

Thank you all for letting me know you think I'm brave, I just thought myself as stubborn!

...

Reply to ...
Posted by: JM | 2004/10/13

To Dot

Ekskuus maar erens het hier nou lyne gekruis. Dot praat jy nou van my posting van verlede week?

Reply to JM

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling better.

It's very admirable that ... is studying further! I'm proud of her even though I don't know her!

Reply to Just Feeling Bugged
Posted by: JM | 2004/10/13

I am studying Electrical Engineering part time, jip I know that feeling of hopefully one day...! There is classes here at work, but I get so frustrated with the teachers, thus I am also studying on my own. Luckily for me everyone in my department has the skills to assist me if there is something I don't understand.

But we must keep our heads high and even if we obtain a qualification in 10 years time, we will know that we have worked hard for that.

Reply to JM
Posted by: . | 2004/10/13

JM berenice Hipnose is nie 'n christelike ding nie, ja, ja baie ng predikante doen dit maar soos die res ken hul nie die bybel nie , net dit wat hulle geleer is, dit kan verorosaak dat demone beheer oorneem van jou, jy glo nie daarin nie, so gedink. Kan ook maak dat jy agterbaks raak en afsprake nie nakom nie

Reply to .
Posted by: ... | 2004/10/13

Thanx, studying C# programming part time, lets rather say teaching myself, so hopefully one day...

...

Reply to ...
Posted by: JM | 2004/10/13

To ....

I salute you for trying so hard and I hope that somewhere in the future you will be able pick up and start studying again. (Unfortunately it get soooo much harder when getting older)

Best wishes.

Reply to JM
Posted by: ... | 2004/10/13

Sorry just wanted to add, you have nothing to feel ashamed of Just Feeling Bugged,

You did well for yourself and should be proud of it

Reply to ...
Posted by: ... | 2004/10/13

I can understand how you feel, but you should also realise, and now I'm more replying to The Moral Fibre.

I too have not studied and if my husband ever decides to leave me, I too will not be able to get by on my salary. I'm still young, and no NOT TO DAMN STUPID to get into university, went to the technikon for a year, waitered while studying, but just could not make my ends meet anymore, did not do to badly in school, but due to circumstances not good enough to qualify for bursiries (my dad lost his job just before exams)

Had to stop studying and now I'm in that situation, parents obviously couldn't sign for surity on a study loan

So not everybody doesn't try!!!

Reply to ...
Posted by: Sassy | 2004/10/13

I guess you were previously disadvantaged and they were not so now they want to make like its your problem. Just enjoy what you deserve. You have made the effort to get somewhere!

Reply to Sassy
Posted by: JM | 2004/10/13

You defnitely did not disrespect anyone and you should never feel bad about your achievements. You worked very hard for that and you definitely deserve it. (The fact that you worked so hard to qualify for a bursary makes it even more applaudible)

These ladies sounds lilke real wannabe's. They want to do this and want to do that but alas nothing ever happens. Why not..cos the only thing they can do is complain.

Before anyone lashes out at me...I am also an admin support, but an admin support with an attitude. I earn a good salary in my eyes but I want more, how will I earn more? By studying.

I did not have the opportunity to study after school and believe me I wish I had. But now I am making use of my opportunities and I may not get a university degree but I will defnitely get something. (Sorry for telling you my story, but I get so mad when these ladies just sit on their behinds and think money will fall out of the air)

So, Just Feeling Bugged, never ever again feel bugged about other people. Remember you are what you are becoz you worked for it.

Reply to JM
Posted by: The Moral Fibre | 2004/10/13

You have nothing to be ashamed of. If they couldn't afford university or were too damn dumb to get in, how can that be your problem? Enjoy the fat salary and the nice home and car and so on and so on because I'm pretty damn sure you worked your butt off to get these things. If they don't like it - TOUGH !!!

Reply to The Moral Fibre