Posted by: lynette | 2008/09/13

sagging neck

I am 33 and due to serve sun damage my chest area is very mottled, also i have noticed the skin around my neck is very loose and has turkey like . Could you possibly recommened what treatments would best help me, and i have heard botox could tighten up my neck muslces - is this true? also i live in durban kzn, if you can also tell me what clinics would offer these tightening treatments?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Lynette, thank you for the question.

Botox has a number of uses and can be used to soften cervical lines (horizontal neck lines) and to reduce the appearance of Platysmal bands (‘turkey neck’). However, from your description it seems that the main cause for the loose skin is sun damage and Botox on its own most probably will not give the result you are looking for. Your best option is to consult with an aesthetic practitioner, cosmetic dermatologist or a plastic surgeon to discuss the various treatment options.
Depending on the degree of loose skin you have a number of options:
Skin rejuvenation with either laser (Fraxel, Lumenis Ultrapulse), IPL & Bi-Polar Radiofrequency (Syneron eLight or eMax), or IPL (Ellipse).
Skin tightening: Refirme, Thermage, or Titan.
Chemical peels
Topical products containing glycolic acid and using a good SPF containing either zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.

The only clinic I know in the Durban area is Renew Clinic (031) 5611277.