Question
Posted by: Lionheart | 2008/01/18

Safer sex and periods

Hi there. I had safer sex (wore a good durex condom) with a girl I did not know very well and during the intercourse she actually bled.

She said she did not know it was her period. We stopped immediately, and fortunately there were no leakages whatsoever in the condom. Her blood just got to my pubic hair and some skin on the base of my penis, but nowhere near the head.

Am I in any danger of an infection, or is there no cause for alarm?

thanks

Dear Lionheart

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

A condom is safe in order to prevent sexually transmitted diseases but as you have had blood contact, I strongly suggest that you undergo a STD screening, as well as HIV testing, three months after the incident, as well as six months afterwards. It will be very unlikely that you have caught anything but to set your mind at ease, it will be good for you to undergo the before mentioned tests.

Kind regards