Question
Posted by: Tholly zee | 2005/05/24

Safer option

I am seven months pregnant and HIV positive. I am also on treatment. My CD4 is at 450,and there is no trace of Viral load. Some doctors say I must go for ceaser and others say natural birth is the safest. I am now confused. which one would you recommend between the two and why?

It depends on what treatment you are receiving. If it is just AZT, a caesarean section would decrease the risk of transmission to the baby even more. If you are receiving HAART, a caesarean may not make any difference. There would be a slightly increased chance of infection in you with a caesarean.

2
Posted by: Tolly zee | 2005/05/31

Hi doc
I posted a question on the 24th May and asked if natural or caesar is the best option if on HIV treatment. I am taking the COMBIVIRA and VIRAMUNE. On your reply you were talking fo HAART. I am I safe on Natural delivery?

Reply to Tolly zee
Posted by: samantha | 2005/05/24

The caesar will be better. Little one will be exposed to less blood, as far as I know. I am curious to see what Science and the gynaedoc have to say.
Good luck!

Reply to samantha