Posted by: c | 2008/10/28

safe to start

I had a hiatus hernia op in beginning of March. As it was more than 9 cm long I was cut open from below my breast bone to below my navel - also to fix another " breuk" . I furthermore has a resting heart beat of 100 - 120 average and am currently on medication to lower that. I' m constantly tired and sometimes still experience stomach " un" =comfort (> ????). Will it be safe to take up yoga as my cardiologist said I must rather not do any excercise at all.

Expert ImageYoga

I am not qualified to answer this question, as I am not a doctor. I suggest speaking to a cardiologist who does yoga or knows about yoga and who can advise you from personal experience. Some yoga poses will push the heart beat up, many will lower the heart beat, particularly when focussing on slowing down breathing. Yoga is not typical exercise so might still be a form of movement you could do - be sure to find a gentle style of hatha yoga as some styles are quite vigorous (bikram, ashtanga, vinyasa). When you do start yoga, ensure to tell your teacher of all the above so he/she can work with you and with a more detailed recommendation from your doctor.
Failing this, you might look into meditation, which can give benefit you immensely as well.