Question
Posted by: Charity | 2004/01/14

Safe or not?

I'm almost 9 months pregnant. I just want to find out if it is safe to have sex on your 9th month or it increases your chances to go on labour?
Another thing, I've been experiencing cramps and it is not yet my month, I'm worried of what could it be?
Please help!!

If you are almost 9 months pregnant, then it does not matter if you go into labour. It is thought that sex can stimulate labour, but only if the fetus is ready to come. This should not be a problem at this stage of the pregnancy.
Cramps are normal close to term. It is the womb's way of preparing for labour.

1
Posted by: www | 2004/01/14

Firstly, having sex will not induce labour unless the baby is ready to be born (that is if you are having a normal healthy pregnancy).
Secondly, you don't state how many weeks you are pregnant exactly. If it is 37 or more, then going into labour now, would not be stopped medically unless they think your baby needs more time to mature its lungs. If you are having cramps, then ask your gynae for an emergency appointment and they will put a monitor on your tummy to check if the cramps you're having are in fact contractions. If they are, then you might be going into labour and they'll probably check for dilation and admit you to the maternity ward.

I had my first baby at 37 weeks and he was very healthy.

Reply to www