Posted by: Not sure | 2013/02/21

Safe house to be registered?

Hi CS,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask the following question. Please refer me if I am wrong. My neighbour has recovering drug addicts to stay and apparently gets paid for it. My problem is that I have these roughed up men walking passed my gate everyday and I am a single woman alone most of the time. I get pretty nervous. I hear the one guy shouting at the dogs every day and making them fight with each other. His speech is very slurred so there may be some brain damage.

Is one supposed to register a safe house with the authorities and if so, where do I find out if he is registered.

Thanks for your help.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

I'm not clear what qualifications your neighbour has, or what services they are providing. He can't be providing any sort of therapeutic services without being properly qualified and registered, and I'd suspect he'd need some form of inspection ( to meet some sort of standards ) if he were providing routine accomodation for ANYONE, such as a guest-house, and all the more so if it specially accomodated drug addicts.
I wonder who'd be able to tell you. Maybe the city council, or even the police if you're one of the rare people to have a competent police station serving your area.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: We Do Recover | 2013/05/13

The Government department that deals with the licensing of rehabilitation centres (Primary, Secondary & Tertiary or sober homes) is the Department of Social Development. Unless the property has business rights, the actual programme delivered to patients is properly registered and meets all acceptable norms & standards (Health & Safety, Fire reg's, ratio of qualified staff to patients etc etc) they should not be open. The difficulty is that SA is littered with low cost, poor quality, unregistered 'rehabs' that run without ever applying for a license and managed to keep going for several years in some cases without any real consequence (aside from the major factor of perhaps doing more harm than good to their patients, the community this so called 'safe house' is in and the reputation of properly registered and high quality treatment centres. What town are you in? I'll do what I can to help, reach me on 082-747-3422 or e: or

Reply to We Do Recover

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.