Posted by: Smiling but worried | 2008/06/09

How safe is it for me if someone rims me, and if I rim him?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Smiling but Worried, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

In terms of HIV transmission, rimming is a safe activity. Remember that HIV is spread through body fluids - primarily semen and blood - and since neither of these play a part in rimming, the activity is safe for both partners.

There are a few risks in terms of other STIs - particularly for the person doing the rimming. Hepatitis A, in particular, is a risk for the person who's actually doing the rimming. For safer rimming spread a sheet of kitchen wrap over the anus before rimming (avoid kitchen wrap manufactured for micro-wave cooking which has tiny holes to allow steam to escape).

Consider being vaccinated against hepatitis - speak to your doctor about this.

Posted by: LONEWOLF | 2008/06/10

If someone rims you, you are quite safe, cannot think why not. The second one is not too safe and you should discuss your health status.