Question
Posted by: Simon | 2005/11/30

Sad day tomorrow

Hello everyone, tomorrow is World AIDS Day, 1 December and I'm not looking forward to it, my partner died in January this year, he was 29 and we were together for 6 fantastic years. I miss him terribly. Is it just me or is anyone else feeling so strongly about World Aids Day?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Simon, welcome to our forum. I particularly welcome posts that refer to HIV and AIDS, and thank you for reminding us of tomorrow being World Aids Day. It will be a significant day around the world for millions of people.

I am sorry to hear of your profound loss and I can imagine that the day will have a special and very personal significance for you. It may be good for you to spend some time with friends who knew your partner so that you can talk about him on a very personal level and share your feelings openly, and I hope your friends will be there to support you.

Thousands of gay people are living with HIV and AIDS in South Africa - sadly we don't know how many - and most of us are affected by HIV and AIDS at some level. Statistically it is very likely that each of us knows at least one person living with the illness - they may not have disclosed this to us or they may not even know that they've been infected - and World Aids Day may be a good time for us to question our own attitudes and prejudices related to people with the illness.

World Aids Day is also an opportunity to remind ourselves that our Department of Health has neglected to provide the necessary treatment, care and support for people living with AIDS and to commit ourselves to supporting campaigns that aim to remedy this.

A very warm hug to everyone living with HIV and AIDS who visits our forum - we wish you well and we'd like to hear from you.

1
Posted by: Tiara | 2005/12/01

How r u doing Simon? I thought of u 2day. I hope u r OK.

Reply to Tiara