Question
Posted by: JK | 2007/04/17

Sad about contaminated food

I just want to say how sad it is that people out there have the power to harm so many of our beloved pets through their neglegence i.e. Royal Cannin etc. Our pets are like family and to lose them over something like this is just too heartbreaking.

We too are very concerned about the loss of pet friends and the distress that some other animals and pet owners are going through. Our thoughts are with those who have recently been bereaved.

However I do not think one can say this is a case of negligence but rather an unfortunate mishap. The premium brand pet food companies spend millions of dollars / pounds in formulating foods that are of tremendous benefit to our pets. Who would have thought that one could buy food for an animal with a skin condition and have the symptoms subside soon after beginnig the diet or have a bowel problem resolved just by feeding a specific food. Well thanks to these food companies we can do this. Pet's health is at the centre of their aims - one just has to read their slogans to be reminded of this.

The notion that a company would purposefully cause such pain and suffering is unthinkable.

We do hope that this incident will soon be resolved and that similar situations are prevented.

2
Posted by: Joni | 2007/04/17

What happened to their strict control measures and batch testing? This is why they charge a super premium price for all their foods, because of all their "research" & "testing". I've read the whole marketing blurb on how Royal Canin sources their "human grade" ingredients. PLEASE, they are very lax. Why weren't the ingredients batch tested before use? Apparently that is what all manufacturers do! I'm sure they've lost millions, I'm sure they've lost brand awareness but I have absolutely no sympathy for them, I know of many people and am one of those people who can't have children and my dogs are my children and worth far more to me than Royal Canin's current & future loss.

Reply to Joni
Posted by: WR | 2007/04/17

Hi there!

JK, I am sure that Vet's Choice/ Royal Canin are not very happy about what happened. I've been to their factory, and I can assure you that they work with the strictest control measures etc. Yes, it is very sad that the animal got sick, and some died, but on the other hand - hats of to the manufacturer for taking NO risks, and getting all their products off the shelves.
You can think how bad this is for Royal Canin/Vet's Choice; Firstly the guilt that something like this happened, secondly the millions they lost by recalling all the food, and thirdly, in the long-run the money they are going to loose when the people who used to give their pets Royal Canine & Vet's Choice realise that their pets are doing well on the new brand of food that their pets are on now.
So, yes, I share your general sentiment that it is sad etc but we must also keep things in perspective. They have probably lost me as a client/ user of their products for life - and I think that alone is enough punishment.

Reply to WR