Posted by: Santjie | 2008/09/22

Morning.....On Saturday the vet put my 14yr old Spaniel to sleep. It feels like I drove her to the gas chamber and gassed her myself. I' m so sad and people keep on telling me that it was for the best, but I was willing to fight for her. She only had 1 eye left, and it was basically blind, she has lost most of her hair on her back, she was deaf etc etc. However, she was still happy and healthy until a week ago. She would sleep almost 20 hours a day and when she was awake she would lie down and drank a lot of water. I took her to the vet and he said he thinks she has pneumonia (she sleeps in my bed with me) and he also think she might have kidney problems + diabetes. He gave her an injection and some tablets and sent her home. He said I must first go back home and decide if I want to spend a lot of money on her for the tests and the following treatments then. Now, I was willing to sell my car to help her and to pay for treatments etc. On Friday evening, she urinated on the bed, she did not even get up, and she also started to throw up and did not want to eat. The next morning my mom and I took her back to the vet. The decision was made to put her down. She was lying on his examination table and kept on looking back at me as if she was asking me to pls help her and take her away from this man. I will never forget the look she gave me. I kept on thinking I should stop the vet before it' s too late, but I didn' t, and then when he tried to inject her she wanted to bite him because he could not find a vain. He tried again and this time she passed away. I blame myself, and I feel I should have stopped him, maybe she could have been healed and lived longer. Her doggy friend is now so depressed and confused, every time we drive somewhere she gets all excited because she thinks we going to fetch Santjie. And when we return without her, she lies on Santjie' s bed all sad. My heart is broken, and it feels like I failed my " child" . The vet told my mom afterwards it was the best decision we could have made, how is that possible???

Dear Santjie

Life is sometimes hard.

Posted by: WR | 2008/09/22

And? Zarathustra what is YOUR point?

Reply to WR
Posted by: Zarathustra | 2008/09/22

It should be blatantly obvious to any anyone with a gram of compassion and understanding what her question is. In fact, if anyone reads her “ statement”  and can’ t deduce what her problem is , he should seriously consider popping into his nearest primary school and getting a grade school teacher to give him some comprehension tests until he learns reading with well comprehension.

Reply to Zarathustra
Posted by: Mandi | 2008/09/22

Hi Santjie,

You did the right thing. She didn' t have quality of life at the end and you helped her by taking away the pain. You made a very unselfish decision and I' m sure she is grateful and she understands.

Just remember the good times and don' t dwell on the final good bye. She was a great friend and companion to you - remember her like that.

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: WR | 2008/09/22

Relax. It is sad and nothing can change that. But in the end she was suffering. She definitely did not know what was happening. The Vet made the right decision. Think about it  He could' ve made a lot more money from you if he kept her alive... but he chose the ethical and thus the correct action.
It is the responsibility of all pet-owners to let go when their animals are suffering.

Reply to WR