Question
Posted by: panelbeated | 2007/06/11

rymathoid arthritis and hemophelia

my son who is only 13, has rhymatoid arthritis. he's receiving treatment for it. he is also allergic to almost everything but luckily doesn't need any treatment. he has some bleading from his nose, normally one nostril at a time, which concerns me greatly because it happens at night; even in the middle of winter. the bleading started before he was diagnosed with rhymatoid arthritis. luckily he doesn't blead a lot and it doesn't continue for long. he gets some nose sprays and ointment for this. this is not hemophilia, is it? please tell me it's not and that there is no connection between the two. help.

Dear Panelbeated
No this is not a sign of hemophilia - he may just have a vein in his nose that is very friable - let your GP have a look. If he is taking EPA and DHA (fish oil) this can cause nose bleeds (because of reduced blood clotting), and some of the anti-inflammatories can also make blood thinner.

1
Posted by: panelbeated | 2007/06/15

Thanks doc. someone mentioned that i suggest to the gp that he burn the veins in his nose; which was done this wednesday and he's stopped bleading. he had some pain that side of his face but seems to be ok this morning. he was also given some gel. and no doc, he isn't taking any fish oil. he takes only methotraxate, folic acid and napflam. thanks for your help.

Reply to panelbeated