Question
Posted by: Digit | 2007/05/28

Ruptured finger tendon

I seem to have ruptured the tendon on my ring finger. I am unable to clench my finger. It is now swollen and a bit sore, but at the time I injured it yesterday it hurt like hell for a for a while. Should I see a medical practioner or is it likely to resolve on its own. What would have to be done to reattach the tendon - supposing my diagnosos is correct?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Digit

I apoligise for the late reply.
Tendons are tissues that connect muscle to bone. When muscles contract, tendons pull on bones causing that part of the body to move. A tear (rupture) or cut of the tendon anywhere along its route, at the wrist, in the palm of the hand or along the finger, may make it impossible to bend one or more fingers which is why you are unable to clench your finger.

It is important to see a physician whenever the fingers are injured. This is especially true if the finger is jammed and the finger tip cannot bend or be straightened. The doctor will test the fingers and determine the extent of the injury. If the rupture is such that the ends of the tendon are not touching, then the tendon cannot heal and will have to be repaired or sewn back to the muscle or bone. This will require surgery and it is usually best to have the surgery as soon as possible after the injury. For the moment however I would suggest that you apply ice and compression to the finger, which will slow the flow of blood to the damaged site.

All the best for your recovery!