Question
Posted by: Ben | 2007/06/24

Runny Poo, 8 month Jack Russel

We went through the scary stuff with the Vets Choice, but carried on with it. Suki is still on Baby Vets Choice, but has had a very bad runny tummy the last few days. Of course, she eats anything that crosses her path..... just bought in a large snail.
Should we change her food or is there any over the counter medication we can buy.
Thanks for all your hard work.
God Bless You.

You can feed cooked chicken and rice for about a week - cut up a breast of chicken and cook it in the same pot as a cup of rice - that way the rice tastes like chicken too. Feed small amounts about 4 times a day and when the stomach has settled down again slowly reintroduce the Vets Choice over 3-4 days. Make sure plenty clean water is available and withhold all treats until the stomach is settled and she is back on normal food.

3
Posted by: Joni | 2007/06/28

Another thing, please make sure you wash her food bowls regularly, according to our vet their are some nasty bugs doing the rounds too!

Another thing that also helps firm up the poos is mashed sweet potato with the chicken

But yes I would get her to the Vet ASAP in case its something more sinister.

Remember to becareful when using ferilisers and pesticides in your garden they can make animals very very sick and can kill them and are one of the major causes of accidental poisonings.

Reply to Joni
Posted by: WR | 2007/06/24

Hi there,

First and foremost, I recommend that if this has been going on for a while that you get the dog to a vet, since she is still on puppy food, I take it that she is still a pup, and pups can quickly become dehydrated!

The bad batch of Vet's Choice was made between 8 March & 11 April, so look on the packaging that you have and make sure about the date of manufacturing.

If you do have a bag that was made then - stop feeding it to your dog IMMEDIATELY and take it back to your Vet.

If the food you have is not from the bad batch - then you can try a whole range of things, but firstly: Is it watery poo, or just not hard like it used to be?
You can try Lennon's Behoedmiddel (Chill always recommends), Pro-biotics etc - but I really think your Vet would be the best person to advise on this!

Good luck!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Carol | 2007/06/24

Has she had the runs since being on the vets choice ? or is it more recent ?

is she voimiting with it??

how is her appetite generally, the problem is here it could be diet , it could be something grotty she has eaten , or she could be sick .... how old is she?

Reply to Carol