Question
Posted by: Kelley | 2006/11/08

running time in programme

I started with a walking programme of 20 minutes every second day. I remember reading feedback from you to a query a while back and thus introduced running in a slow way. Last week I introduced 1 minute of running after the first 10 minutes. This week I introduced a 2nd minute of running. This I did after 6 minutes of running, and then again at the 14th minute. I don't know if this is correct. Should I split up the two running minutes, or should they be together, eg. 2 minutes of running after 10 minutes of walking. And what if I increase the minutes - which I plan to do on a weekly basis - should they be together or split? I was not totally couch potato status when I started - I had some level of walking fitness - but I've never run before. I'm 51 and do the walking/running on a treadmill at home which I enjoy a lot.

Hi kelley

It sounds great to me. I would keep them separate for now, and then over time, join them up. If you keep on with the current patter, then I work out that in a couple of weeks, you will probably be walking 5, running 5, walking 5, running 5. Keep that going a little longer and you will walk 1, run 9, walk 1, run 9, and that's basically the same as running 20 minutes, and you will have joined them up.

So I think it sounds awesome, well done and keep it up!