Posted by: Michelle | 2008/06/23

Running on treadmill and loosing weight

I have a treadmill at home. Will I loose weight if I run on a treadmill 3 - 4 times a week (speed 6.5 - 7kmh, incline 2, 40 minutes). I am reducing my calorie intake as well. My height is 1.67 and I weight 60kg. Need to loose only 2 - 3 kilo's.

HI Michelle

Depends entirely on the balance between intake and output, and how you're going about that calorie reduction. The worst mistake that people make is that they cut the calories right out, which causes the body to react to a sudden loss of energy and actually use LESS than normal. This is a negative thing, obviously, and often catches people out - in order to lose weight, you actualy sometimes have to eat more, not less!

So the diet is crucial. This is not only about the exercise. The exercise is a good start, because if you can do that, then it will help. But given that you only have about 2 to 3 kg to lose, your problem is going to come down to diet, which is always where those last kilograms will come from. So I'd really suggest you consider seeing a dietician and find out what they think of your diet strategy. You also don't have a great deal of weight to lose - in fact, some would say you have no weight to lose - your BMI is already low, and so you might need to reassess this goal of weight loss, and focus rather on toning and getting fitter.