Question
Posted by: Me | 2007/12/19

running + knee pain

hi there

firstly, thank you for making time to answer people's questions this time of the year especially!

Well, my query...my knee is pretty tender on the medial side, and it feels a bit funny when i run....however, i really want to run and i can handle it....so my knowledge says that i should let it rest and just chill, but i cant stop my training program as i am trying to up my fitness.

i know my info is vague...but i dont want to go and see a doctor, cos i dont think its necessary...

thanks a lot

HI there

A bit of rest might do you good - it usually helps and is probably the easiest thing to do at this time of the year! A few days off over Christmas will hardly hurt your long term fitness and might be the break you need.

This type of knee problem, while impossible to diagnose exactly like this, is relatively common in runners, and it's usually caused by a weakness in the muscles of the upper leg, that control the knee. This is recitified by doing some strength training, like half squats and squats, or the leg extension machines in the gym. So you might want to try that in the new year.

But the main thing is always training - increasing the duration or speed too much, too soon, causes injury. And so usuallly, if you just back down a little, and ease off, then the problem goes away anyway!

1
Posted by: bruce | 2008/01/02

try increasing the flexibility in the leg muscles and the hip flexors. Also look at the shoe you are running in.
Is it correct for you running gait.

Reply to bruce