Question
Posted by: runner | 2006/07/25

running fitness

I've injured my right leg and was told not to run for a few weeks but I can walk. Now I try to walk at least an hour a day (I usually run an hour - don't really have more time in the day for exercising) will this keep my fitness level stable? or am I doomed to loose my fitness?

What else can I maybe do to keep up my fitness level and burn those calories? Thank you!!

Dear Runner,

You will probably lose a little bit of running fitness by cross training but do not despair: if you allow your right leg to heal COMPLETELY, it should only take about 3 -4 weeks to regain your old fitness back!

Cycling (especially spinning) and aqua jogging most closely approximates the "intensity" of running and give you the most bang for your buck, if time is an issue. Walking will work the weightbearing muscles and maintain the range of motion in that right leg, so there are advantages to walking although they are not as calorie efficient as running.

I suggest that you take this opportunity to work different muscles and experiment with all-around exercises that build strength and flexibility: factors that could enhance your running and PREVENT further injury when you indeed "come back". Give yourself a short break as your body probably needs it.

Hang in there!