Posted by: Zee | 2008/08/01

This may sound weird but I cannot run. When I try to run on the treadmill I last about 2 min because my side hurts. I want to start running at the gym and dont want to be embarrassed because i look stupid. Can someone teach me how to run. A colleague advised that I should chew gum whilst running and this will regulate my breathing is this correct. Please provide tips on running.

Hi Zee

Don't feel bad at all. Running is often very difficult at first, because of the difficulty breathing. The good news, for what it is worth, is that some day in the future, you'll look back on this episode and wonder what all the fuss was about!

Some people can just run, others not. I think that what you need to do is to start by walking and introduce running very gradually. There's no need to run until you have to stop. Rather walk, with very short periods of running (30 seconds) in between, for a time of 20 minutes. You might for example walk 2 minutes, jog for 30 seconds, and repeat 8 times.

I wouldn't chew gum though, it makes breathing more difficult in my experience! I think as far as breathing goes, try to concentrate on the rhythm of the run - two steps in, two steps out, for example.

Hope that helps!

Posted by: Berry | 2008/08/01

Hi Zee

If you go to the top of the page, see the 6th tab from the left -click on Fitness, then click on Programmes and then click on Running - there you will find advice on how to proceed. It is important to accept that you cannot just start running if you have not done it before. Do the walk/run routine until you feel you are fit enough to keep on running. Don' t feel embarrassed at the gym, everyone is there for the same purpose and everyone had to get started somewhere !!

Reply to Berry