Question
Posted by: Yusuf | 2007/12/03

Running

ive started running this past two weeks and from friday ive noticed an extremely throbbing bone pain under my knee but above my ankles. Its like on my lower leg.
Should i go to a specialist or what?
i find the pain similar to when like an aircon set to very cold stings your bones.
what should i do?
im running slow paced,under 12km per hour for about 6kms. i trained thus far 6 days 1 rest times 2 weeks
is my resting off?

Hi Yusuf

I suspect it's simply because you did too much too soon. It may sound crazy, but to do 6 km, 6 times a week is too much for someone coming in from a beginner level. The body is then unaccustomed to the training load and it breaks down with an injury as a result.

What I would normally suggest for someone who is starting out on the running career is that they alternate walking and running, and they rest every second day.

In otherwords, you run on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and maybe Saturday, and rest on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday.

And when you run, try something like 3 minutes jog, 1 minute walk, for 30 minutes. Then in week 2, try 4 minutes jog, 1 minute walk for 40 minutes. In week 3, 5 minutes jog, 1 minute walk for 50 minutes, and so on.

ROss

1
Posted by: yusuf | 2007/12/06

Thanks doc
Reason for my advanced routine is that i come from a taebo background which i do everyday.

Another question
does squats help with waist reduction as well?
what is best for waist reduction

Reply to yusuf