Question
Posted by: xy | 2005/06/22

running

Can someone tell me when is good time for running. In the mornig or in the evening?How long should I run if I am a beginner. It is better to eat before running or after, because all the time when I am running after that I am so hungry. So what is the best way of it?

Dear XY
You can check with Fitness Doc on this Website about when is a good time to run, but I reckon that you should run when it suits you and when you can fit it into your schedule. Doing exercise in the mornings may be more beneficial because you won't be tired and will probably be able to put in more effort. You need to start off slowly at say 0,5 km a day gradually increasing how far and fast you run so that your body can adjust. Don't start off with 10 km at full pace as this may cause problems. If you run in the morning you still need to eat a light breakfast of cereal, milk or yoghurt, fruit juice, toast and a hot beverage before you run because it is essential to provide your body with some energy after the 12 hour fast overnight. Also use an energy drink such as Powerade or Energade while running to supply you with energy so that you don't get tired. You can also eat a light meat after running to replenish your energy reserves. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Sportsmen and women' esp the articles on carbohydrates, carbo-loading, etc.