Question
Posted by: No Progress | 2005/06/01

Run, Pilates, Weight Training - No progress

Im a 20 year old female. 1.6m tall and weigh 60kg, so my BMI is within normal range. However I am particularly flabby in the stomach region and have heavy legs. I run 5 times a week for 30min (either on the road or on a treadmill at a 5% incline). I do a series of pilates moves 3-4 times a week and do light weight training (1.5kg weights) 3 days a week. I follow a sensible diet, however I have seen no weight loss or toning up in the past 3-4 months. I dont know what I am doing wrong. My clothing fits the same and I still weigh 60kg. Some time ago a biokineticist measured my body fat % and said it was high for my age. He advised a 5kg weight loss. I feel so despondent, I am just not seeing results. Im even tempted to try atkins which I know is not particularly healthy. Please help

hi there

I don't think that aiming for weight loss is the way to go. At the moment, your BMI is calculated at 23, which means that it's in the normal range. While it may be possible to lose a couple of kilograms, I do think that 5 kg is too much. Rather, your focus should be on getting fitter and then toning. If for example you can increase your muscle mass by toning and decrease your fat mass by only 1 or 2 kg, then your body fat percentage will fall much more than if you lose 5 kg, which is what you are aiming for now. So, with regards to exercise, I think that sticking with cardio is the way to go, and I would suggest looking at the intensity of the training as a very important variable in seeing changes. Often people just don't exercise hard enough - I'm not saying you should go out and kill yourself everyday, but certainly, periods of harder training do a world of good, so even if you just break down your run into smaller segments of say 5 minutes each, and then alternate 5 minutes at your normal pace with 5 minutes harder running that will add a great deal. Then diet is the other very key factor - I don't think that the Atkins diet is the way to go - I think the best is to see a dietician about it if you can and just make sure that you have a decent diet, particularly considering your exercise because many people undereat or eat the wrong foods, which is just as detrimental to their progress.

1
Posted by: bosman | 2005/06/01

Hi There,

Sounds like you have a fairly good workout routine there, Try keep off the running, rather go swimming, the running builds muscle in your legs... The swimming will help you drop the flab around your stomach, this along with situps and weight training should help....

Now diet, you should have 5 meals a day, thats if you trying to lose weight, it should be something like this:

Drink only water, breakfast: All bran flakes, before lunch: fruit, lunch: pasta with veggies or a rice/pasta salad, NO meat, before dinner: Fruit/Soup, dinner: spagetti bolognaise/ fish, whatever you want really.....

Anyways, this worked for me, im a 20yr old male, ive dropped 13kgs sice i started 5 months ago and got my body fat % down to 12%.....

Try this and see what happens, you should start seeing results in about a month....

Good Luck!

Ryan

Reply to bosman